01 02 03 Eat. Pray. WOD.: Allow me to reintroduce myself 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Allow me to reintroduce myself

34
It's been kind of a long time since I told my story about how I came to CrossFit and what I found a long the way. There have been a huge number of people who have visited my blog (thanks!) and are probably like, "who the hell is this girl?" Additionally, it's important to remind myself that things that are easy now were not always easy and to reflect on the progress I've made and look forward to the progress I will make. 

So let's start at the beginning.

In case you didn't know, I'm Aislinn. I am not 25 like my sidebar says (only because I haven't had a chance to update it), I'm 26--soon to be 27--and I've been a crossfitter for just over 2 years. 

When I finally found CrossFit thanks to a glowing recommendation from my friend Jordan, I was terrified. I was 204 pounds at 5'2''. There was no freakin' way I was gonna be able to do whatever the hell Julie Foucher and Annie Thorisdottir were doing on TV. Not a chance.
I found Red Stick CrossFit in July of 2012. I called and spoke with Andrew, the owner and head coach. Talked his ear off. Told him all my worries and fears and pretty much tried to convince him to convince me that I just couldn't do CrossFit and if I tried, I would die. Didn't work. 
Andrew assured me of two things: 
1. I could definitely do CrossFit
and
2. I'd pass out way before I died.

Like everyone else who started before me, I went in scared everyday and learned something new. I scaled everything. I couldn't even lift the 35 pound bars. I was in awe of all the athletes around me doing seemingly undoable things. 
My goal? Get skinny.

In September of 2012, Red Stick CrossFit participated in Barbells for Boobs, a competition designed to raise money for mammograms for women in need. I reluctantly signed up to do it after Andrew and Lauren assured me that I could scale the work out (I was nowhere near a 95# clean yet!).
For the first time, in a LONG time, I actually felt like an athlete. In addition to all that, I got to experience the amazing community that is CrossFit outside of my box. All around me, people were cheering and encouraging competitors to get one more rep. Move a little faster. Work a little harder. 

As the months went on, my goals changed. I didn't really care as much about how "skinny" I was or how much I weighed. My goals started shifting to how strong I was. I didn't care about looks or size. I cared about getting a pull-up. I cared about increasing my deadlift. I cared about increasing the number on my barbell rather than decreasing the number on the scale.


Where I am now:

I'm no longer at Red Stick CrossFit (but it's still my home box!). I've moved from Louisiana to Houston, Texas where I've opened my own box: CrossFit 3600. I could have never guessed that my life would take this turn but it's been the most incredible journey.

There is nothing better than being able to help people reach their own fitness goals and help them impress themselves everyday. 




It's also a blessing to be able to tell my athletes that I've been and could possibly still be in their shoes. Double unders are hard and no one likes burpees. 

But everyday, we get better and everyday is a more exciting day on this crazy journey.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38