01 02 03 Eat. Pray. WOD.: "Did you take your vitamins today?" 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

"Did you take your vitamins today?"

34
My mama and daddy are preoccupied with whether or not I took my vitamins.
My daddy especially.

Every time I call him, he always takes a second to ask, "and your vitamins? Are you taking them?"
I wasn't always the best vitamin taker. In fact, I don't think I took any until I noticed my mama taking them around 3 years ago. I mostly just blew off the question like, "yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm takin' 'em."

But 3 years ago, my mama was told by her doctor that she needed to start supplementing her diet with calcium and other micronutrients because she was starting to suffer from bone loss. There is nothing scarier than having someone you love tell you that their bones are literally becoming weaker and may not be able to support them anymore.

Bone loss, known as osteoporosis, is a widely occurring problem in both women and men and can lead to additional health problems.

Before, I had never even thought about bone loss. I'm strong right? I exercise, I lift weights, I run. But this is something that happens and can be prevented. 

Mama Nancy's fighting it. She's been having her regular checkups and has experienced no further bone loss (!!!!) which is great news. 

As for me, I'm taking my vitamins--especially my calcium--so that I can keep lifting, running, and having adventures well into my future. 

If you'd like further information about osteoporosis and how it can affect health, please click here

Make sure you're all taking your vitamins and promoting your bone health so that we can all be doing incredible things into our 80's!
Better be taking your vitamins!

Labels: , , , , ,

35 36 37 38