01 02 03 Eat. Pray. WOD.: Thankful Wednesday: 3/20/12-Dance + CrossFit 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Thankful Wednesday: 3/20/12-Dance + CrossFit

34
Once upon a time, before I was a CrossFitter, I used to dance. 

As a little girl, I always wanted to be a ballerina/gymnast hybrid. Every year, I'd dress up as a dancer for anything that required a costume. I was always leaping and turning and flipping off of everything.
See? I think this year I was the "Sugar Plum Fairy". Costume handmade by Mama Nancy.
In high school, I was on our dance team and I spent about 4 hours dancing everyday. I loved it. I wasn't the best at technique, but I really enjoyed it. Nothing made me happier than creating movement. Dancing for 4 hours a day also kept me pretty skinny and I liked that, too.
Dance. Just out of high school. Don't mind my sideboob. You know these things have a life of their own.
And because I loved dance so much, I kept it up throughout college. I concentrated in it in school, took class, learned about the history of it and participated in performances. But, as most of you already know, I was gaining weight throughout my college career and dance was getting harder and harder. Leaps and turns were more difficult and I got more and more self conscious in my dancewear.

So after graduation, I stopped dancing. Completely.
And, a couple years later after getting fed up with my weight, I found CrossFit.

And I love it. It's a completely different type of love. Pushing myself farther. Making myself stronger. Moving more weight. Doing more work. And I felt like there was nothing else I'd rather do than lift.

Until yesterday afternoon. 
Our dance team at my school was practicing for tryouts today and were working on technique. And a couple of them-knowing that I had danced once-asked for help. 
And (41 lbs. lighter with a whole bunch more muscle) I agreed.

It was incredible. With all this newfound strength and agility, I was able to turn more, leap higher, and complete tricks that I hadn't been able to do since high school. Some of them I couldn't even do then. 

So today, I am thankful. I am thankful that through crossfit (and paleo!) I was able to shed some of the things that held me back from something I love. Not just weight, but negative thoughts and poor self esteem. I am grateful to have gone through that rough spot so that I could truly appreciate what a gift movement is in all forms-dance, lifting, life. I am very blessed that I've found two very different things to love that compliment each other so well. I hope to be fortunate enough to continue to incorporate them both into my daily life.

{what are you thankful for today?}

Labels: , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38