01 02 03 Eat. Pray. WOD.: Eat.Pray.WOD ran to save the ta-tas today! 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

Eat.Pray.WOD ran to save the ta-tas today!

34
If you know me or you've read this blog enough (or both) you know that I hate running. HATE IT. I've never run more than a mile and it always sucks. 

Today was the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5K in Baton Rouge. And I signed up to run. Voluntarily. For someone who hates to run, this is crazy, right? You're damn right it is. 

So let me tell you what led me to this crazy decision.

Growing up, my best friend was Brittany (she still is) and she has an older sister, Danielle who is 4 years older than us. As kids, we idolized Danielle and her friends. Seriously. We stole their clothes--AND WORE THEM OUT--we used all their hair/makeup products without permission, we basically wanted to be them. I don't even think I've ever told Brittany this, but I idolized Randa the most. She was always so little and cute. I liked that she had dark brown hair (like me!), she was super nice, and she might have been the prettiest person I'd ever seen up close. As we've gotten older, we've stopped stealing clothes (for the most part) and while the age gap is still the same, the maturity gap has gotten way smaller. Brittany and I can finally be friends with Danielle and her friends! 

The next part of the story sucks.

In the not so distant past, Randa was diagnosed with breast cancer. We were shocked. She accepted it, she fought it, and she won.

And then it came back.

Once again, we were shocked. How can something like this happen to such a good person? She's so young. We looked up to her. I idolized her. Things like this don't happen to people like her. But they do. And they did. 

And Randa…realized the problem and attacked it. I have never seen a person handle any situation with as much grace and strength as she has handled this one. She is probably the most beautiful bald woman I have ever seen. She decided that this would not be something to ruin her life. Despite everything, she literally radiates. It's incredible. She would fight this stupid thing and win, dammit. 

So when Race for the Cure came around, I signed up. I figured, if Randa could be a badass and fight cancer, I can push myself through 3.1 miles so that we can eliminate this shiz for good. 

And I did. I finished a 5K today in 34:28. For Team Sixkiller and for beautiful, strong, determined, women everywhere. 

Team RSCF getting ready to run in Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 2013!

Race ready! No question about who I'm runnin' for!
Post Race: 34:28. TIRED!


1/2 of Team RSCF at Superior Grill to celebrate our awesome run!

Only one of the most beautiful people (inside and out!) I've ever seen upclose: Randa

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38