01 02 03 Eat. Pray. WOD.: ...but isn't that going to make you bulky? 04 05 15 16 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

...but isn't that going to make you bulky?

34
Y'all, I teach 10 year olds all day (I know, bless my heart) and I'm used to repetitive/annoying questions, but this one annoys me most. When I talk to people about Crossfit and men AND women say "um, but lifting all that weight, won't you look like a man?" Seriously? To my face.
Uh, do I look manly to you?

I'm no Camille or anything, but I lift and I like to lift HEAVY. I like to push my limits and see just how much weight my body can move. But for some reason, people are really stuck on this idea that lifting is going to make a woman look like Arnold Schwarzenegger in a wig. 

So if you're freaking out because you're just SO SURE that lifting is going to make you "bulk up n' shit" here are 5 reasons why you SHOULD lift.

5. Women don't have enough testosterone to be bulky.
Sorry, y'all. We just don't have enough testosterone in our bodies to make us get big like men. Our muscles just get long and lean. Unless you're juicing. In which case...um...gross.

4. When you lift, you build muscle...
...and muscle eats fat. Nom nom nom. And guess what's making you look bulkier and bigger? Fat. When your muscles grow, they eat the fat and you lean your body out. 
See? Muscle is smaller than fat.

3. Because looking like she-hulk doesn't happen on accident
Those women bodybuilders you see that look like they're about to hulk smash something? They didn't do that by accident. They have specific plans, diets, and take specific supplements (legal and illegal) to force their bodies to look like that.

2. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn...doing NOTHING
It's a proven fact: the more muscles you have, the more calories your body can burn even when you're not exerting yourself. Your muscles need to eat all the time, including the time when you're not exercising. I don't know about you, but I like knowing that I can be lazy as f*ck and still burn calories.

1. Because muscles make you sexy. Duh.
See below:


See what I mean?

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

35 36 37 38